Wednesday 13 December 2017

AH THE MOON'S TOO BRIGHT ,THE CHAIN'S TOO TIGHT

AH THE MOON'S TOO BRIGHT ,THE CHAIN'S TOO TIGHT. , THE BEAST WON'T GO TO SLEEP

It is through a haze of ridiculous pain that I say to you my dear fellow survivors that even that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow comes with a cost. For these past few years post stroke my dream has been that one day I might be able to care for my lovely wife as she so lovingly has for me.

This  past week she has been in hospital and I have been tasked with not only the unthinkable chore of caring for myself but for our beloved cat ,the Mighty Hatfield. Visiting at our new and quite monolithic hospital requires a great deal of walking . Daily  I visited my love walking essentially half the length of the too large structure using my straight cane and daily I walked in my home unassisted feeding , watering and litter box cleaning for Hatfield , I have to say that stepping into even that tiny bit of my wife's daily routine was exhausting . After the hospital and it's marathon walking I was beat .

I had ample opportunity to awaken old skills to cope with the problems of visiting in a huge building one handed and somewhat unsteady and it felt wonderful .
The pain hit me on her last day there , visiting , seeing her to pick up prescriptions and home and then going back there for an appointment of my own caught up with me . The thigh and calf pain coupled with lower back spasms is excruciating.

I have not felt this accomplished for quite a while and am enjoying the sensation , I found my own pot of gold but I had to crawl the last mile to claim it. Surviving is a great feat on it's own but to reap further reward comes with a hefty price tag . Keep on fighting , never give up. Phil.

No comments:

Post a Comment